Founded in 1949, the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) is a cooperative of research libraries dedicated to collecting, preserving, and providing access to primary sources from around the world. CRL’s highly-regarded collections include approximately 5 million newspapers, journals, documents, archives, and other traditional and digital resources. Most of these resources are from outside the U.S., with many coming from Africa, the Middle East, Southeast Asia, South Asia, and Latin America. CRL’s liberal interlibrary loan policy, which includes long-term loans, makes it possible for faculty to use this rich material for major research projects and in their instruction.
While many of DePaul’s faculty use CRL’s resources, they may not know that the Libraries actively participate in purchasing materials for CRL’s collection. As a member of the Center for Research Libraries (CRL), DePaul University Libraries participate in CRL’s annual Purchase Proposal Program, a cooperative purchasing program that targets major microform and reprint sets and collections that are too costly for individual institutions and are not readily available through interlibrary loan. After nominations are gathered, CRL libraries vote on which sets they feel that CRL should purchase.
CRL recently announced the list of new collections that they will be purchasing this year. Based on the votes of DePaul, and other CRL member libraries, CRL will be purchasing eleven valuable microform and reprint collections, with a list price value of $181,848. These sets will soon be available from CRL through interlibrary loan.
These were the eleven collections that were decided upon (full details available at: http://www.crl.edu/news/8945) :
• Bod-ljon par Tibet Daily
• British Intelligence on the North-West Frontier 1901-1949: India Office Political and Secret Reports on Tribes and Terrorism. British Library and India Office Collections.
• Newspapers from Nazi Germany
• Knickerbocker Press Newspaper
• Papers of Emma Hart Willard, 1787-1870
• Papers of the War Refugee Board
• Qing dai Xinjiang dang an xuan ji (清代新疆档案选辑)
• The Rafu shimpo microfilm
• Satirische Zeitschriften (Satirical Periodicals)
• Sexualerleben und Körperkultur (Sexual Experience and Body Culture: Deutschsprachige Publikationen, 1880-1932.)
• Si Fa Gong Bao (司法公报)
For more information about the benefits of DePaul’s membership in CRL, please see: http://www.crl.edu/membership